Working from Home – Claim Tax Deductions

Working from Home – Claim Tax Deductions

The Australian Taxation Office takes the view that costs associated with your place of residence are likely to be of a private nature. However, if you’re working from home and incur expenses as a result, you may be entitled to claim tax deductions for some of the costs for working from home.

Deductions may be available in the following two situations:

  1. Your home is used as a ‘place of business
  2. Your home is used in connection with your employment duties rather than as a place of business

The tax implications are different depending on which of these circumstances applies.


What is a place of business?

To qualify as a place of business, the area you have set aside must have the character of a place of business, for example, a hairdresser’s home salon, a caterer’s home kitchen or a photographer’s home studio. While this will depend on your particular circumstances, an area of your home is likely to have the character of a place of business if it is:

  • Clearly identifiable as a place of business, for example, you have a sign identifying your business at the front of your house
  • Not readily suitable or adaptable for private or domestic purposes
  • Used exclusively or almost exclusively for carrying on your business
  • Used regularly for visits by your clients.


Types of deductible expenses when working from home

The deductible expenses fall into the following 4 categories:

  1. Depreciation on office equipment
  2. Running expenses (electricity, stationery etc.)
  3. Telephone
  4. Occupancy expenses
Working From Home

With lives busier than even, many people take the opportunity to work from home.


Depreciation on office equipment

Depreciation can be claimed on items such as desks, computers and other electronic devices. You must apportion the amount of your claim where the equipment:

  • Has been used in part for private purposes, or
  • Was not available for use during all of the financial year


Where you run a business from home and qualify as a small business (turnover less than $2M), you can claim an immediate deduction for most “individual” items of equipment costing less than $20,000 (exclusive of GST). If any items cost $20,000 or more, you are entitled to claim depreciation at the rate of 15% in the first year and 30% thereafter.

If you are an employee and do some work from home, you can claim a deduction for depreciation (generally over its effective life). However, where the item of equipment costs $300.00 or less, an outright deduction can be claimed.


Running expenses

A deduction can be claimed for the cost of using facilities in your home. Running costs include heating, cooling, lighting and cleaning.

Where you run a business from home, you can claim a deduction for these expenses on a floor area basis. For example, if the floor area of your business is 10% of the total area of your home, you can claim 10% of the costs.

Alternatively you can choose to claim the Tax Office hourly rate (currently $0.45 cents per hour) but you need to keep a diary. The diary must show a representative period of at least four weeks to establish a pattern of use for the whole year.

Note: where you use this hourly rate, you cannot claim depreciation on any furniture.



If you use a phone exclusively for business, you can claim a deduction for the phone rental and calls, but not the cost of installing the phone. If you use the phone for both business and private calls, the deduction is apportioned.

You can identify business calls from an itemised phone account. If you don’t have an itemised account, you should keep a diary for a representative four-month period to work out the pattern of business calls for the entire year.


Occupancy expenses

Occupancy expenses can only be claimed if you are using your home as a place of business rather than conveniently working from home as a salaried employee. As mentioned above, the Taxation Office expects you to have an area of your home set aside exclusively for business purposes.

These occupancy expenses include:

  • Mortgage interest or rent
  • Council rates
  • Land tax
  • Home insurance premiums

Home Business


Capital gains tax

Generally your family home is exempt from capital gains tax.

Where your home was acquired after 19 September 1985 and you are running a business there, the portion of the home attributable to the business activity may be subject to capital gains tax. However, any capital gain can be reduced or eliminated completely under the small business capital gains tax concessions.


Find out more

Many of our clients operate by working from home or with some kind of home office or home business, so we are experienced in how to help. Get in touch and we can prepare you for the upcoming end of financial year and let you know what sort of documentation you require.

Share this: